|In 1911 it was decided to build a large radio
station in Togo. It
would have with masts 120 metres tall and be capable of sending and receiving telegraph
messages from Germany to forward to other smaller
stations in the African colonies and to German ships in
the South Atlantic.
Work on the station was only
completed in June 1914, shortly before the outbreak of
the First World War.
British and French forces
simultaneously invaded Togo in August 1914 with the
intention of capturing the radio station.
had no regular troops in Togo only local Polizeitruppe
and German reservists so a strong defence was not
mounted. Instead they retreated to Kamina fighting small
skirmishes along the way.
Around the radio station they
had constructed defensive trenches and machine gun posts
but realising they were out numbered the German force
prepared to surrender without a fight.
They destroyed the radio
station on the night of the 24th August 1914 so it
could not fall into enemy hands and opened negotiations
for a truce on the 25th. On the 26th August 1914 the
acting German governor,
Major von Doering accepted the surrender.
Today the remains of the
radio station can still be seen scattered around the